This pattern is free for a limited time. Just add to cart and complete checkout to receive the download. For more info, click here. Use code: signature15 at checkout to get 15% off our Signature Fingering yarn today.
One Size – Finished Blocked Measurements: 46.5” (118 cm) Wingspan x 19.5” (49.5 cm) Center x 113” (287 cm) Outer Edge
Expression Fiber Arts Signature Fingering yarn
The sample is shown in A) Stories to Tell, B) Trek, C) Secret Destination, and D) Open Window.
1 skein needed of each color.
The sample shown used approximately 797 yds/729 m total: Color A: 375 yds/343 m, Color B: 82 yds/75 m, Color C: 206 yds/188 m, and Color D: 134 yds/123 m.
Be sure to order all you need for your project because once these colors are gone, they are gone!
If those colors aren’t available, any from this category will work.
US 4 (3.5 mm), or any size required to obtain gauge
Adventurous Beginner to Intermediate: This pattern is for those who feel comfortable with knitting and have made a few projects, using various skills and techniques. Skills/concepts include: German Short Rows and working from charts.
Notes From the Designer:
Until I realized that not every knitting project needed to challenge my knitting skills, too much garter stitch was a real pet peeve of mine. I found it boring and quickly became frustrated with my project. Recently, however, I have come to really appreciate all that garter stitch has to offer. It enables me to slow down and enjoy the rhythm of my knitting, feel the luxury of the yarn in my hands, and appreciate how it may be used as a key design element. It willingly takes on a supporting role to more complicated stitches or allows for some fun ways to combine colors. The squishy, stretchy fabric that it creates is ideal for a shawl that wraps around you and molds to your shoulders, like a big hug.
Choose yarns that you love, be willing to slow down your pace and simply marvel at the uncomplicated knit stitch.
- Click the Videos tab to watch a tutorial on how to work the first 20 rows, which include the German Short Rows.
- Do not let the number of rows scare you! The majority of the rows contain less than 100 stitches, and half of the rows are short rows.
- Making a gauge swatch is critical to achieving the desired results. Please DO NOT assume that you knit to the same gauge as I do! It is the only way to ensure that what you are knitting will produce what you expect, and you won’t need to worry about running out of yarn.
- If you are substituting yarn, it is especially important to make a gauge swatch to verify that the yarn you will be using behaves in the same way as the yarn called for in the pattern.
- This pattern utilizes short rows using the German Short Row method. You will work a partial row, turn your work, and begin the next row by slipping the first stitch and making a “double stitch” (DS). The two legs of the DS are counted as one stitch and worked together in subsequent rows.
- When the “sm” is not included in the row instructions, simply slip the marker as you come to it.
Designed by Jane Vanselous
You'll receive a digital file only (instantly downloadable as a PDF) and won't be shipped anything. Please allow a few minutes for the download link to be emailed to you. If the email doesn't arrive within a few minutes, just log into your account on our site, and you'll see your Completed Orders. From there, you'll find the download link.
Enjoy your knitting!
New? Read about our pattern download process here.
"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” – Lao Tzu
Customer Reviews 5 (11 Reviews) Write a Review
have not started yet but look forward to making this beautiful piece.
love it. Thank you
As usual, beautiful. Now just to find the right colors.
All yours pattern is lovely. Well explained. Beautiful.
A gem, as usual
Another beautiful pattern to enjoy!
I am enjoying this pattern, well written and the shawl is beautiful so far. Thank you
This pattern is so well-written and easy to follow. It is knitting up beautifully. :)