72” x 50" (183 x 127 cm), blocked
Expression Fiber Arts North DK yarn
Shown in colors: A) Winter Cabin, B) Sledding, C) Vancouver, D) Slopes, and E) Snowy Fields
1 skein of each color needed (264 yds/241 m per 3.5 oz/100 g skein).
If those colors aren't available, any from this category will work.
Adventurous Beginner: This pattern is for those who feel comfortable with knitting and have made a few projects, using various skills and techniques. Skills include faux cables, increases, color changes, and blocking.
Notes from the Designer:
Dashael is a triangular shawl that uses knits, purls, slip stitches, yarn overs, psso's (pass slip stitch over), and simple kfb increases. The name was inspired by my husband's Irish heritage and the dashes within the body of the shawl. I chose this particular yarn for its softness and bold colors, as it really shows each stitch in exquisite detail.
- Click the Videos tab to watch a video tutorial on how to work the kfb, pfb, and Baby Eyelet Cable stitches.
- The sample shown used approximately 1249 yds/1142 m total: Color A: 246 yds/225 m, Color B: 256 yds/234 m, Color C: 251 yds/230 m, Color D: 244 yds/223 m, and Color E: 252 yds/230 m. Please note, the yardages given will have you using nearly all of the yarn in each color. Please consider purchasing a second skein if you feel that you might run out.
- All slipped stitches are slipped purlwise with yarn in back.
- When working Baby Eyelet Cables, keep working yarn to WS (back) at all times.
- Between Rows 66 and 380, only the odd rows are written out. The even rows are all repeats of Row 66. Color changes are written within odd row instructions to avoid confusion.
- When working through color changes, trap the non-working yarn behind the second stitch (from the end) of the working color to avoid loose strands carried up the sides.
- Color changes are created by a gradual increase of the new color and gradual decrease of the previous color. You can change more or less frequently, as desired.
- When cutting yarn to end a color, leave a 5-6” (12.5-15 cm) tail for weaving.
- The body of the shawl is worked in 12-row repeats, with increases on each odd row within. To decrease the length of the shawl, remove groups of 12 rows prior to Row 380 (such as ending after Row 367 or 355). To increase the length, add groups of 12 rows (such as repeating Rows 368-379). You will need to end on a row that finishes with "k3, p1, kfb" for the border rows to line up. You can then proceed to Row 380. NOTE: the stitch counts will be different if you alter the number of body rows worked. Adjusting the length will adjust the width proportionally.
- The designer chose Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. However, any stretchy bind off will work.
Row 18: Should be written as: P1, k3, p3, k3, sm, k3.
Designed by Emily O'Dell
You'll receive a digital file only (instantly downloadable as a PDF) and won't be shipped anything. Please allow a few minutes for the download link to be emailed to you. If the email doesn't arrive within a few minutes, just log into your account on our site, and you'll see your Completed Orders. From there, you'll find the download link.
Enjoy your knitting!
New? Read about our pattern download process here.
"There are no greater treasures than the highest human qualities such as compassion, courage, and hope. Not even tragic accident or disaster can destroy such treasures of the heart.” – Daisaku Ikeda
A well written pattern, looking forward to making it
This pattern is very sophisticated. It would be a very lovely shawl to gift to a very special friend.
Love this pattern
As beautiful once knitted as it looks in the photos. Truly a gorgeous shawl to either knit for yourself or as a gift. I knitted it as a gift and my niece really loved it. Thank you for such a beautiful pattern.
I am absolutely enthralled with the Dashael Shawl pattern, ordered and received the yarn to knit it. I love the feel of the yarn. Have not yet started my project, but really look forward to it. The order came in a very timely fashion and the pattern download was very easy. Thank you for the free pattern and the beautiful product you have. I look forward to more adventures with your company.
OMG, I am in love with this pattern. It really helps me to focus, and change my thinking by having to pay attention. I am always learning something new with each pattern. Thanks, Chandi for being a light in my life when I need it
I wish there was more time in the day.
This is a well written pattern, the instructions are easy to follow and you have a beautiful shawl at the end.
I'm not a great knitter but i'm so in love with this design. I've concentration problems do to several strokes, and with this pattern that's no issue. I can lay it down and pick up whenever and still easily find what to do next. I just wish there would be more patterns like this of were it's no problem making it bigger than is. But that's just bc of my love for lace and thinner yarns as mostly used at EFA. ??❤?
A beautiful simple knitted shawl