XS (S, M, L, XL)(2XL, 3XL, 4XL): 30 (32, 36, 40, 42)(48, 52, 56)”/ 76 (81, 91, 102, 107)(122, 132, 142) cm hip measurement.
All sizes are based on actual HIP measurements.
Designed to be worn with positive ease. Ease measurements differ from size to size and can be found in the table on page 9.
Version #1: Fetish Dewy DK and November Nostalgia Pearlescent Fingering
Version #2: Timekeeper Dewy DK and Mist Pearlescent Fingering
Dewy DK (250 yds/230 m per skein): 4 (5, 5, 6, 6)(7, 8, 9) skeins used
Pearlescent Fingering (550 yds/503 m per skein): 2 (2, 2, 3, 3)(3, 4, 4) skeins used
Yardage totals can be found in the table on page 9.
US size 9 (5.5 mm) 16”/40 cm circular needles for the cowl neck
US size 9 (5.5 mm) 24”/60 cm to 40”/100 cm circular needles for the body
Intermediate: This pattern is for those who feel comfortable with knitting and have made a few projects, using various skills and techniques. Skills/concepts include mid-row bind off and cast on, cabling, and attaching a cowl neck.
Notes from the Designer:
Meltage is a delight to wear because nothing is more cozy than a soft cowl neck that just flows like melting snow. Meltage was designed to be knitted with both a DK weight and a fingering weight yarn held together. Be adventurous when you pick your yarns. They do not have to match. I used a solid color for the DK weight and a variegated color for the fingering weight, which formed a tweedy look. Using these two yarns together… well, let me say, both of these yarns flow on their own, but when knit together… ooh la la! They formed a lovely fabric that is also very warm!
This unisex poncho was made to be worn over a shirt or top, so it was designed with ease in mind. This pattern can be easily lengthened if you want a longer look. I hope you enjoy making this poncho and wearing it, too.
- Click the Videos tab to watch a video on how to complete the invisible side seams.
- Version #1 is shown in a size Medium with 24” (61 cm) from the Garter stitch border to the shoulder seam. Version #2 is shown in a size Medium with an additional 3” (7.5 cm) in length.
- The gauge for the cowl neck ribbing is 21 sts = 4” (10 cm). • Cables can be made with or without a cable needle.
- Be sure you knit with BOTH strands of yarn throughout the entire item. Occasionally stop and check for yarn “loops.” These “loops” occur if you drop one of the yarns or fail to pick up both strands when knitting each stitch. Just unknit your work back to the dropped loop, and reknit that portion.
- Due to the relaxed nature of the cowl neck, all sizes knit the same sized cowl neck.
- When it is time to attach the cowl neck to the body, attach the cowl along its CO edge.
- The body follows the same pattern of rows up the front until you reach the neck, and then resumes down the back.
- The pattern was written for sizes XS (S, M, L, XL)(2XL, 3XL, 4XL) based on actual HIP measurement. See Hips Column in the table on page 9 to determine your size.
- The poncho will grow in length when you block it, as well as when you wear it. Check the table on page 9 for blocking measurements.
- If you wish to add extra length, five additional rows of pattern (on each side) will add approximately one inch in length, as long as your gauge matches that listed in the pattern. If you modify the length, be sure to duplicate any changes on both the front and back. The amount of extra yarn needed will be determined by both the length and size you choose.
- Meltage is designed to be worn over a shirt or top, so be sure to account for positive ease.
Designed by Candy Key
You'll receive a digital file only (instantly downloadable as a PDF) and won't be shipped anything. Please allow a few minutes for the download link to be emailed to you. If the email doesn't arrive within a few minutes, just log into your account on our site, and you'll see your Completed Orders. From there, you'll find the download link.
Enjoy your knitting!
New? Read about our pattern download process here.
"What is one man's life compared to the eternity of time and space? No more than a snowflake that glitters in the sun for a moment before melting into the flow of time.” – Osamu Tezuka
I love this pattern. It’s easy and well worth the time. Thank you for sharing the pattern. I would highly recommend to others and I will be making another one when I complete this one.
Very clever design
This pattern looks so warm and cozy!
It's so simple to knit and the outcome is awesome.
Tysvm for a lovely quick knit! It's already being "claimed" by my daughter in law.
Knitting at the present very happy hiw it is looking thanks
Very pretty, can't wait to start working on it.
Love the cozy and versatile look of this pattern. Can't wait to see it finished. Thank you for providing this one as a free pattern.
Very easy to follow. I will be making more than one
Very easy to follow. Will be making more than one.
What a super neat pattern. Can't wait to get at it.
I love Expression Fiber Arts designs, but Meltage is so cozy and nice to do.
Great pattern, looks gorgeous.
Lovely pattern with good instructions. only downside is trying to decide what colour to do it in
Great pattern, well written and easy to understand! Thanks for great patterns.
Great pattern, very well written and easy to understand!! Thanks for great patterns.
Can’t wait to start on it
Absolutely perfect pattern to make a warm cover for the cold days at home.