This pattern is free for a limited time. Just add to cart and complete checkout to receive the download. For more info, click here. Use code: amal15 to get 15% off our Amal Fingering yarn for a limited time.
One size - Finished Blocked Measurements (w/o fringe): 18” x 63” (46 cm x 160 cm)
Expression Fiber Arts Amal Fingering yarn
Shown in colors: Desire (C1), Brilliance (C2), and Optimism (C3).
340 to 350 yds (302 to 334 m) of each color were used in the sample, approx. total 1,040 yds/951 m. (Yardage/meterage estimates do not include the fringe.)
US size 5 (3.75 mm) straight or circular needles or size needed to obtain gauge
Adventurous Beginner: This pattern is for knitters who have made a few projects and are ready to knit with more than one color of yarn. Skills/concepts include working with more than one yarn at a time, carrying nonworking yarn up the side, and slipping stitches.
Notes From the Designer:
Papallona is the Catalonian word for butterfly. Butterfly wings are made up of thin layers of chitin, which are then covered in an intricate system of scales that can be seen under magnification. These tiny scales are responsible for creating the unique color combinations and pattern variations among different butterfly species. Papallona features an overall repeating pattern of Stockinette Slip Stitch – a stitch texture that resembles the scales of butterfly wings.
Papallona is a rectangular shawl that is knitted flat in one piece using three colors of Amal Fingering yarn. To knit this shawl, you’ll progress through five sections that feature a simple, repeating stitch pattern that uses only knit, purl, and slipped stitches. You’ll also knit a Seed Stitch border around all four edges of the shawl and finish it with an optional fringed edge. Both written and charted instructions are included in the pattern, as well as a color schematic.
- Click the Videos tab to watch a tutorial on how to knit the repeating rows. We’ll be showing a mini version.
- This rectangular shawl is knitted flat in one piece using three colors.You’ll progress through five sections that feature a simple, repeating design of Stockinette Slip Stitch. You’ll also knit a Seed Stitch border around all four edges of the shawl.
- The stitch chart is not written in the traditional format. This is intentional. The symbol in the box is the stitch you should work, regardless of the symbol being on a RS or WS row.
- Throughout the shawl, you’ll work with two colors of yarn at the same time. You can carry your nonworking yarn up the side or back until you’re instructed to break the yarn.
- All stitches are slipped purlwise in this pattern.
- Instructions are included in the Finishing Section for making and attaching an optional fringed edge.
- At the end of this pattern, you’ll find a schematic that details the color layout of this shawl, as well as a chart for the Stockinette Slip Stitch pattern.
- Because I am a tight knitter, I highly recommend checking your gauge against mine to ensure that you have enough yarn to complete the design.
- To make this shawl longer, rows can be added to any of the Stockinette Slip Stitch Sections in multiples of the 12-row repeat. If it's in a section other than the middle one, you’ll need to mirror it on the other side, too.
- To adjust the width, there are 7 border stitches on both the left and right sides, and then the pattern is a multiple of 6 + 1.
Designed by Monica Wesley
You'll receive a digital file only (instantly downloadable as a PDF) and won't be shipped anything. Please allow a few minutes for the download link to be emailed to you. If the email doesn't arrive within a few minutes, just log into your account on our site and you'll see your Completed Orders. From there, you'll find the download link.
Enjoy your knitting!
New? Read about our pattern download process here.
"You do not just wake up and become the butterfly. Growth is a process.” – Rupi Kaur
Sorry, there are no reviews for this product yet.