18" x 55" (46 cm x 140 cm)
Expression Fiber Arts Mirage Sport yarn
350 yds (320 m) per 3.5 oz (100g) skein
You will need 2 skeins of C1 and 1 skein each of the other 3 colors.
Shown in colors: (C1) Oatmilk, (C2) Brocade, (C3) Black Onyx, and (C4) Fuchsia Glow.
The sample shown used approximately 1080 yards/988 m total: 550 yards/503 m (C1), 165 yards/ 151 m (C2), 155 yards/142 m (C3), and 210 yards/192 m (C4).
US size 4 (3.5 mm) or size needed to obtain gauge
Intermediate: This pattern is for those who feel comfortable with knitting and have made a few projects, using various skills and techniques. Skills/concepts include being comfortable with stranding techniques and chart reading.
Notes from the Designer:
Radicchio is a generously sized piece that can be worn either as a shawl or folded in half and worn as a scarf. The pattern is knit in EFA's squishy, soft Mirage Sport yarn. The Fair Isle pattern utilizes just four colors and is edged in a multicolored, Garter stitch pattern. The simple chart is easy to memorize, which makes Radicchio an ideal first Fair Isle project.
The color palette was inspired by the vivid fuchsia and white leaves of Radicchio on designer Anne Robinson's black soapstone counter, as she was prepping a salad one evening. This is an endlessly versatile piece that is soft enough to be worn near your skin. Wear it out with your favorite jacket or wrapped around your shoulders while watching a movie.
- Click the Videos tab to watch a tutorial with some tips to help you successfully make this shawl.
- This pattern utilizes a chart for the main body. Each row contains a 9-stitch Garter stitch border with 15 repeats of the chart pattern in the middle.
- The chart is meant to be read right to left on the RS rows and left to right on the WS rows.
- Knit all RS rows of the chart, and purl all WS rows of the chart.
- The bottom and top edging of the piece is worked in Garter stitch, and the charted pattern is worked in Stockinette stitch.
- The left and right sides of the edging will not be symmetrical. This is purposeful and part of the design.
- Be sure to tug the yarn firmly when transitioning between the main body and the Garter stitch border. This will prevent any gaps in the work. If you do have some gaps in your work, close them on the wrong side of the work when you weave in the ends and finish the piece.
- This pattern produces a lot of ends to weave in when completed. Don’t get overwhelmed. It's worth the extra effort on the finishing!
- If using high-contrast colors as shown, steam blocking is strongly encouraged to avoid color transfer.
Designed by Anne Robinson
You'll receive a digital file only (instantly downloadable as a PDF) and won't be shipped anything. Please allow a few minutes for the download link to be emailed to you. If the email doesn't arrive within a few minutes, just log into your account on our site, and you'll see your Completed Orders. From there, you'll find the download link.
New? Read about our pattern download process here.
"To live happily is an inward power of the soul.” - Marcus Aurelius
Customer Reviews 5 (11 Reviews) Write a Review
Awesone beautiful ❤️❤️❤️
Awesone beautiful ❤️❤️❤️
I'm just into the 2nd repeat but this pattern is just coming out beautifully
It is so cute!!!!!
It is so cute. As soon a can I will make it.
stunning fair isle
Beautiful future project Thank you so much
Easy and fun
This pattern makes me smile all over. I have enjoyed making it 4 times now.